X CONNECTIONS Explained: O’Connor/O’Leary/Crowley/Daly/Browne/Scanlon/McCarthy.
Two Scanlon brothers from Woodlands at Currans (A&B), sons of Bartholomew Scanlon married two O'Connor sisters (Daughters of John 'Sean-Bui' & Margaret Kenny) from
A) Bartholomew ‘Batt’ Scanlon married Margaret O'Connor.
B) James 'Batt' Scanlon married Mary O’Connor. Married in 1845.
Catherine O'Connor who married Dave Dave Fleming, Farrankeal was a sister to both Mary and Margaret O'Connor referred to above.
Hanora O'Connor from Dromultan (the Sister of Edmond O'Connor Dromultan and aunt to Dave Ned O'Connor) and daughter to John & Hanora Browne O'Connor Dromultan Married John Batt Scanlon (Son of Bartholomew ‘Batt’ Scanlon & Margaret O'Connor) Woodlands. Currans in 1887.
John McCarthy Breahig married Elizabeth O'Connor Dromultan (Liz was a sister of Edmond O'Connor Dromultan and aunt to Dave Ned O'Connor). The mother of John McCarthy Breahig was Margaret McCarthy, Nee Browne from Molahiffe. Margaret Browne's Sister Elizabeth Browne, married Daniel Daly, Knockaderry in 1852.
Elizabeth O'Connor, (the sister of Edmond O'Connor Dromultan and aunt to Dave Ned O'Connor) married John McCarthy Breahig 1882.
Their Son David (Moved to Portmarnock Dublin circa 1937), child of John McCarthy & Elizabeth O'Connor McCarthy Breahig, David McCarthy married Ellen Crowley Daughter of Denis Crowley and Mary O’Connor Crowley Mountfalvey.
John Browne Bohereens/Molahiffe married Noreen Scanlon Woodlands ….
Ellen Kerins from Knockrour married Jeremiah O'Leary Mount Scartaglin in 1852. Ellen's sister Hanora Kerins from Knockrour married Con Crowley MountFalvey circa 1854.
Many of our Ancestors had little choice but to emigrate.
Emigrate means to leave one's country to live in another, moving abroad. Immigrate is to come into another country to live permanently.
The first leg of that journey abroad for most Irish emigrants was on foot. Some only had to walk as far as the nearest town with a train station. Others walked for days to get to a port for the voyage overseas. Most had nothing to carry but the clothes on their backs as they made their way to a passenger Ship at Cobh in Cork. Originally called Cobh until Queen Victoria visited in 1849 when the name was changed to Queenstown. It was changed back to Cobh in 1921. Cobh is in Cork Harbor. Amazingly, between 1848 and 1950 almost six million people left Ireland. Two and a half million of them left from Queenstown.
How did our Ancestors travel to Cobh back then? Many took the train and surely some travelled along the Butter Road to Cork.
Castleisland Railway Station opened on 30 August 1875. It closed for passenger traffic on 24 February 1947 and for goods traffic on 3 November 1975, finally closing altogether on 10 January 1977.